Re: [Xen-devel] What is the official source for the pvops kernel?

On 21/03/2011 12:06, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
First of, 2.6.38 is unstable. We haven't completed all the up-porting effort
and there are bounds
to be bugs. So when you run it, please do report the bugs you are seeing.

For right now there are two git trees. The official vaniall 2.6.38 which can:
  - Boot Dom0
  - Boot DomU
  - Can boot PV and HVM guests with the latest xen-unstable.hg tree and the
    latest QEMU (which has built-in backend drivers).
Are you saying I can use the standard 2.6.38 build as a Xen Dom0 kernel? If not, could you explain this a little more.

The 2.6.38 in my
tree(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git) has
the things mentioned before, and then:
  - Can be used with Xen 4.0 as it has now three backends: pciback, netback,
blkback.
  - Can be be booted with Xorg (radeon and nouveau) if the card is PCIe.
  - Has gntalloc allowing domain-to-domain pages to be shared.
  - Lots of bug-fixes.
  - And infrastructure add-ons (backend, P2M, M2P).

In short, it has all of the patches that just went in 2.6.39-rc0 and then some
more. For the details look on LKML for '[GIT PULL]' from me.

So if you want the "stable" one use the 2.6.32.32 that Jeremy just released.
I really wanted stable and tried the latest 2.6.32.XX from two weeks ago but on every machine I've tried it, I got a kernel panic in xen_set_pte. I wasn't sure what the root cause was (I upgraded from 3.X to 4.X Xen at the same time) so I tried 2.6.38-rc7 to see if it was Xen or the kernel and no longer got the panic, so continued with that kernel version.

I was under the impression that 2.6.38 would be a stable version, but not it appears not. Is there a version later than 2.6.32 that I could use a stable?

thanks,

Anthony.