Re: [Xen-devel] Segfault When Building Snapshot xen-3d14ce7 kernel From linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git/shortlog

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 13:41 +0100, John McDermott (U.S. Navy Employee)
wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Sorry for the delay. The development box in question has older
> hardware, so it takes a long time to compile a kernel to investigate
> various possibilities.
>
> We were running an earlier version of the 2.6.32.25 pvops kernel, on
> Xen 4.0.1. Apparently the fault is caused by the -j switch in make,
> but not always.

It's probably an issue exposed only under stress then.

> I can compile the newer kernel single-threaded without any problems
> (other than I have to run it overnight), without ever reproducing the
> problem, so it cannot be in kernel source or the tools per se. We have
> been running (and building Xen) on the newer snapshot xen-3d14ce7
> kernel with no problems.

The 2.6.32.25 version was 51f9f525d75?

In which case there have been a lot of changes between then and 3d14ce7.
Fingers crossed that one of them fixes your issue...

> Debugging this problem uncovered a different issue with the IBM sHype
> security features (ACM), so we are focused on that for now.

In case you didn't know the ACM support in Xen has been effectively
unmaintained for quite some time and was removed from the xen-unstable
tree last week (and so won't be in Xen 4.2 as things stand). The flask
module for XSM remains.

(it's not clear if this is the same ACM you were referring to since I'm
not sure how sHype fits in here...)

> I will start logging more, whenever I build a new pvops kernel, to see
> if I can collect anything useful. We will also have a look at adding a
> kernel build to our development stress tests.

Thanks John, hopefully either the bug won't happen again or something
will show up in the logs.