Re: [Xen-devel] virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory, rhel6 bridge-utils IGMP snooping

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 06:44:24PM -0500, Scott Meyers wrote:

> > - do you have ip_forwarding (routing) enabled in dom0?
>
> No. That was not mentioned or required according to your tutorial.

NAT requires ip_forwarding/routing! This is a generic requirement for all Linux
NAT stuff,
be it Xen or something else.

> > - How are your firewall rules in dom0?
>

> Disabled

Then it obviously won't work!
When dnsmasq starts it should add the firewall rules for NAT.

> > - Is dnsmasq running?
> No, dsnmasq was not running. I started dnsmasq, but didn't solve the problem.

dnsmasq acts as a dhcp server and DNS server for virbr0 bridge,
so you definitely need it running!

> > - Do you see domU dhcp requests in system logs (from dnsmasq) ?
>

> No. I always set dhcp off. I use static ips.

What IP did you configure in the VM?
Could you ping the gateway (dom0 IP on virbr0) from the VM?

> > - After the domU is started run "brctl show" - is the domU vif connected to
> > virbr0 bridge?
>

> It showed:
>
> bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
> virbr0 8000.feffffffffff yes

So the VM is NOT connected to virbr0 at all!
Do you have xen-netback driver loaded in dom0 kernel?

> > - Run "tcpdump -i virbr0 -nn" - do you see the traffic from the vm?

Did tcpdump show any traffic?

> > - Does the domU get an IP?
>
> Nope.
>
> Why Xen v4.x is so buggy and difficult to deal with? I didn't have these
> problems using version 3.x. Does that mean v4 in still in beta?

4.x is not in beta.

When building a platform on your own, you need to understand
how things work and configure everything properly.

> We are planning to use v4 on a production server. Can we trust this system?

Yes, when it's properly configured.

-- Pasi