Re: [Xen-devel] Help with the migration to XEN-4.1 please

On 13 September 2011 11:46, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm afraid that xl does not support this style of "managed" domain.
> The /etc/xen/auto type stuff ought to still work although there have
> been a bunch of fixes to that recently, I think they are all queued for
> 4.1.2 but it might be worth confirming that tools/hotplug in your tree
> looks similar to that in xen-unstable.hg
Thank you for replying Ian,
ok.

>> 2) If I try to run a gentoo linux guest (for instance) running
>> 'xl vm_config_file.cfg -c' I get the following error:
>
> You mean 'xl create vm_config....'?
Yes, please excuse me, it was a typing error.

> Did you start xenstored and xenconsoled?
Of course yes. I added xendomains in the default runlevel, which
strictly depends on xenstored and xenconsoled as you know.
And it has been the first check I've done once I encountered that problem.

> i.e. did you add the
> "xencommons" initscript to your startup?
I don't know if it is a bug or something missing in the gentoo package
of xen-tools
but I don't have any inistscript called xencommons in my /etc/init.d directory.
I only have the file /etc/xen/xencommons configuration file on my system.

>> 3) the network for the guest OS doesn't work, even the xenbr0 is up
>> and the vm configuration file
>> explicitly says it has to use that bridge. Furthermore, due to the
>> error at point 2, I can't see anything
>> in the VM.
>> I also tried to add the following line in the /etc/xen/xl.conf but the
>> network doesn't work anyway:
>> vifscript="vif-bridge"
>

>> 4) xl shutdown <domain_number> seems to be not working. I have to
>> destroy the VM in order to have it powered off.
>>
>> Can somebody help me to correct these problems please?
>
> Both of these sound as if xenstored is not working properly for you. Is
> it running?
Of course it is. The virtual machines start, but they are not accessible via
ssh due to the network issue or console for the error reported above.

> You didn't restart it did you? (you cannot restart
> xenstored, unfortunately if you did this you need to reboot).
:-| I can reboot, but it doesn't solve the problem so.

> Did you also change kernel when you moved to 4.1?
No, before installing XEN on this system I installed the gentoo-sources-3.0.4
kernel. To be honest, if I remember correctly I already had xen-tools
and xen 4.1.1
as a first install on my system. Now I have 4.1.1-r3. At the
beginning, prior the migration
I was using xm and the VMs were starting without any problem, and the network
was working too through the bridge.

> Do you have
> the /dev/xen nodes, especially evtchn loaded and available?
I only have evtchn under /dev/xen.

> With pvops
> many kernels are more standard distro kernels rather than xen-specific
> and therefore stuff which was historically statically built in to the
> kernel are now modular.
So do you mean I have to check my kernel configuration or add/remove something,
or make it as module?

Thank you very much,

--
Flavio