Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] insufficient quoting between "tap-ctl list" and xend/server/BlktapController.py

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 19:37 +0000, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 06:31:04PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Philipp Hahn writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] insufficient quoting between
> > "tap-ctl list" and xend/server/BlktapController.py"):
> > > As a quick work-around, the attached patch fixes the problem for me. That
> > > is,
> > > until tap-ctl changes it's output format.
> >
> > Thanks, I have applied it.
> >
> > > A more permanent solution would be to add proper quoting / escaping to
> > > tap-ctl
> > > and un-quoting / de-escaping  to BlktapController.py
> >
> > xend is pretty much obsolete now and I don't imagine we'll be doing
> > any rework like that soon I'm afraid.
> >

> I realize xend doesn't get much attention anymore,
> but it's still the only way to use some features,

xend is deprecated. This ultimately means that xend will go away. If you
are dependent on these features then you need put effort into ensuring
that they become supported in libxl and xl. You should not assume that
xend will be around forever nor that someone else will do this work for
you before xend does go away. In other words people who need these
features need to provide patches for them. (I suppose someone could also
step up and offer to maintain xend properly, I'm not holding my breath
for that).

> like:

> remus, block scripts

AFAIK support for these in xl/libxl these are being worked on.

>  pvusb, pvscsi,

I'm not aware of any effort to make these work with libxl.

> So it's good to apply at least bugfix patches :)

TO some extent that just gives people a false sense that they can sit on
xend forever, which is not the case. People need to realise that xend
_is_ going away and they need to start planning accordingly.