Re: [Xen-devel] Load increase after memory upgrade (part2)

> > > The usage, at least with 'pci_alloc_coherent' is that there is no bouncing
> > > being done. The alloc_coherent will allocate a nice page, underneath the
> > > 4GB
> > > mark and give it to the driver. The driver can use it as it wishes and
> > > there
> > > is no need to bounce buffer.
> >
> > Oh, I didn't realise dma_alloc_coherent was part of swiotlb now. Only a
> > subset of swiotlb is in use then, all the bouncing stuff _should_ be
> > idle/unused -- but has that been confirmed?
>
> Nope. I hope that the diagnostic patch I have in mind will prove/disprove
> that.
> Now I just need to find a moment to write it :-)

Done!

Carsten, can you please patch your kernel with this hacky patch and
when you have booted the new kernel, just do

modprobe dump_swiotlb

it should give an idea of how many bounces are happening, coherent
allocations, syncs, and so on.. along with the last driver that
did those operations.