Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Still TODO for 4.2?

2012/1/4 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> What are the outstanding things to do before we think we can start on
> the 4.2 -rc's? Does anyone have a timetable in mind?
>
> hypervisor:
>
> Â Â Â* ??? - Keir, Tim, Jan?
>
> tools:
>
> Â Â Â* libxl stable API -- we would like 4.2 to define a stable API
> Â Â Â Âwhich downstream's can start to rely on not changing. Aspects of
> Â Â Â Âthis are:
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â* event handling (IanJ working on this)
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â* drop libxl_device_model_info (move bits to build_info or
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âelsewhere as appropriate) (IanC working on this, patches
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âshortly)
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â* add libxl_defbool and generally try and arrange that
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âmemset(foo,0,...) requests the defaults (IanC working on
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âthis, patches shortly)
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â* The topologyinfo datastructure should be a list of
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âtuples, not a tuple of lists. (nobody currently looking
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âat this, not 100% sure this makes sense, could possibly
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âdefer and change after 4.2 in a compatible way)
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â* Block script support -- can be done post 4.2?
> Â Â Â* Hotplug script stuff -- internal to libxl (I think, therefore I
> Â Â Â Âdidn't put this under stable API above) but still good to have
> Â Â Â Âfor 4.2? Roger Pau Monet was looking at this but its looking
> Â Â Â Âlike a big can-o-worms...

The hotplug implementation I've sent can be improved with asynchronous
events once IanJ patches are in. Also it might be good to do some
cleaning of the Linux hotplug scripts, right now they are a style
mess, apart from the fact that they take different parameters
depending on the script being called, which I think could be avoided.

I don't know much about driver domains, but from what I've read they
should be running something like NetBSD xenbackend and listen for
xenstore events. Most of the functions that I've written on my hotplug
series can be used to create a little daemon, that's not the problem,
the problem is what can we use to synchronize hotplug script calling
and libxl (what comes to mind is using a dedicated xenstore variable
for each device, but someone might have a better idea).