Re: [Xen-devel] make install not creating lib entries in /usr/lib under Ubunu 11.10

Please do not top post, it destroys the flow of the conversation.

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 23:19 +0000, Jeffrey Karrels wrote:
> I was just wondering what the "correct" way is to go about this. I
> have a x86_64 centos system that has all of the libs going to /usr/lib
> and not /usr/lib64. It sounds like we want to keep everything
> in /usr/lib on purpose. Is that correct

/usr/lib vs /usr/lib64 is a distro decision which Xen has to fit in
with, not a decision which we get to make.

The variables under config/ are the mechanism which we provide in order
to allow you as a user to make Xen fit in with your distro's policy.
Have you modified these at all?

Debian and Ubuntu policy is to always use /usr/lib
or /usr/lib/<gnu-triple> (with the latter being the multiarch thing).
AIUI CentOS and RHEL (perhaps/probably SuSE too) always use /usr/lib for
32 bit stuff and /usr/lib64 for 64 bit stuff, regardless of whether the
installation is primarily 32 bit or 64 bit. I don't use CentOS or RHEL
so I may be mistaken here (but I don't think I am)

config/StdGNU.mk implements (or is supposed to implement) the
CentOS/RHEL policy by default, hence the discussion below about
modifying the variables for Ubuntu.

Have you changed anything here or are you saying that a pristine Xen
tree when built on CentOS installs 64 bit libraries to /usr/lib instead
of /usr/lib64? If so please can you be precise about what tree you are
running (e.g. the exact URL you cloned and which changeset you got) and
steps you took to install (e.g. what patches did you apply, what
commands did you type) and what exactly you saw (e.g. what was
in /usr/lib and what was in /usr/lib64).

Ian.