Re: [Xen-devel] Volunteers required for 4.2 TODO items (Re: 4.2 TODO update)

On 3/12/12 8:22 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 12:11 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
There are several things below which are in need of a volunteer to take care of
them...

Specifically:

tools, nice to have:
       * support for vif "rate" parameter (No one, AFAICT)

I'm working on a patch to add support for vif rate limiting in libxl.

I don't have much experience with C and my knowledge is limited. (although I develop in other languages)

At this moment, I only have a "proof of concept" with a main function so I can play and do tests to verify the parsing/results. (bytes_per_interval,interval_usecs)

I would have a couple of questions about how to integrate the feature/code within libxl/xl.

The rate syntax requires relatively complex parsing which would require at least 3 new functions which could all be combined in one if required. (parse_vif_rate, parse_vif_rate_bytes_per_sec and parse_vif_rate_interval_usecs)

Where should those functions be added? xl_cmdimpl.c?

What should be the names of the new struct members of libxl_device_nic? I same some "suggestions" in the previous rejected patch [1]. Are those names good? Should they be closer to the concept of "rate" instead of "qos"?

Also, should more information be provided to the user about the rate syntax? rate=<rate> isn't that useful.

Thanks!

[1] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-03/msg01963.html

--
Mathieu