Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-API] GSoC 2012 project brainstorming

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 17:00 +0000, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 04:53:57PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > Below are a few ideas which have been floating around as potential
> > projects (or broad subject areas for projects) for GSoC this year.
> >
> > If you want any more information on any particular item then please ask.
> > Likewise if you have any ideas of your own please feel free to chip in.
> >
> > If you think you might be interested in a project, either as mentor or
> > potential student, then please add it to the wiki page at
> > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas
> >
> > Ian.
> >
> > TOOLS
> > -----
> > - pv grub2
> > - xapi support in libvirt
> > - make xapi use libxl
> > - compile xapi on ARM
> > - OpenXenManager
> > - driver domains
> > - PV dbus
> > - HA daemon for Remus
> > - HA daemon for XCP
> >
> > PERF
> > ----
> > - Oprofile
>
> So the oprofile mega patch posted by Michale seems to work. But it is
> riddled with #ifdef CONFIG_XEN so not very nice.
>
> > - Linux perf tools in guest
>
>  from this e-mail thread:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/12/74
>
> it actually seems to work in dom0 - well, there is a bug so not exactly good.
>
> But having the tool to work with dom0 and domU would be super.
>
> Sign me up as a mentor for that!

Please update http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas as
appropriate ;-)

> > HYPERVISOR
> > ----------
> > - insmod Xen
> > - event channel limits
> > - NUMA
>
> Yeah, we need that. I think there were some patches posted for that.. whatever
> happend to them?

I think there are some patches, which have gone in and various ideas for
ongoing work but I'm not sure what the details were -- hopefully whoever
shouted out NUMA (this was a brainstorm remember ;-)) will chime in.

> > - Infiniband
>
> Huh? InfiniBand PV drivers?

I think this is about using Infiniband for extra fast migration, by
pumping the migration data over infiniband instead of a normal network.
But again hopefully someone who knows what that bullet was will chime
in. I seem to remember someone mentioning it at the Munich hackathon.

Ian.