Re: [Xen-devel] odd configure warnings on ARM

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 09:01 +0000, Roger Pau Monnà wrote:
> 2012/3/15 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi Roger,
> >
> > I'm seeing:
> >        checking for python version >= 2.3 ... yes
> >        configure: WARNING: Strange ldflag found in python-config output:
> > -Xlinker
> >        configure: WARNING: Strange ldflag found in python-config output:
> > -export-dynamic
> >        configure: WARNING: Strange ldflag found in python-config output:
> > -Wl,-O1
> >        configure: WARNING: Strange ldflag found in python-config output:
> > -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
> >
> > This seems to be tools/m4/python_devel.m4. Is there any reason to print
> > hte unknown flags?
>
> Ian Jackson requested for this, as it was not originally part of my patch:
>
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-03/msg00762.html
>
> But I don't really think it's necessary/useful for the end user.

(adding Ian)

I don't think that configure should be concerning itself with whatever
random stuff the python developers feel it necessary to include in their
LDFLAGS other than the one we need to look at.

I'm not sure why we are filtering the result of python-config though.
Shouldn't a test compile using Python.h be using the full set of
whatever python-config says we should use?

> > I would guess that python-config could produce
> > whatever is necessary for the platform and that the above are totally
> > reasonable.
> >
> > At most this should be a message which ends up in config.log but not on
> > stdout/err, is there a macro for that? If not I think the *) case should
> > just be silent.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Autoconf does not provide a macro to write to config.log only, but
> there's a little trick:
>
> http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/doc/tricks.html

What a strange way to provide that interface!

> I'm going to change those messages so that they are only written to
> config.log but not the screen.
>
> Is the configure script working correctly under ARM? I haven't been
> able to get my hands on any ARM board, but I have a rpi reserved that
> I hope doesn't take long (I could also use Qemu I know...).

It works fine apart from that little niggle. Or at least I haven't
noticed anything else.

Ian.