[Xen-devel] Panic on CPU0 : Unable to boot with Xen 4.1 on Fedora 16, manual grub2 config after compiling Xen from source

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ranjith Krishnan <pkranjithpk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:34:54 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:41:49 +0000

Hello all,

I had asked my question on xen-users list, but I did not get any responses for 5 days despite bumping the mail up once. Hence forwarding the question here.

Hello,
Newbie here. So please be patient. If you need any extra information please ask, and I will try to provide.
My intention is to study xen source and hopefully make some contributions to it. So I tried to compile Xen 4.1 from source and start using it.

My environment details:
2.0 GHz 32 bit CPU, 2GB RAM with XP and Ubuntu Wubi install. ( Ubuntu installed as an application within XP, can dual boot)
Trying to install Xen on external USB Hard disk (500 GB) : Installed Fedora 16 on this. Can boot and use Fedora 16 just fine from this.

I found these tutorials after searching and used them.

Used a partition scheme very similar to one mentioned in above tutorial. Also disabled selinux.

2. Found a second tutorial for building xen from source:

3. I only complied and installed Xen, not linux kernel ( because wiki says Fedora16 kernel is a valid Xen Dom0 Kernel ) according to http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Fedora_16_Dom0

After I installed Xen, confirmed that under /boot I have xen.gz, and the folder /etc/xen exists.

I modified my grub2.cfg file by looking at a sample grub2 configuration mentioned at http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-changelog/2011-10/msg00151.html

Now when I boot with Xen 4.1, it gives me a Kernel panic and fails to load the dom0 kernel. Exact error message is

'elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Will only load images built for the generic loader or Linux images')
PANIC on CPU0:
Could not setup DOM0 guest OS
I am attaching my grub configuration file. Please have a look and advice.

--
Ranjith