Re: [Xen-devel] 4.2 TODO / Release Status

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 10:09 -0400, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 10:34:15AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > The updated TODO list follows. Per the release plan a strong case will
> > now have to be made as to why new items should be added to the list,
> > especially as a blocker, rather than deferred to 4.3.
>
> For the beginning, I have the following points:
>
> * xs.h -> xenstore.h

I think there was general agreement that this should be done for 4.2.

> * Directory usage in libxl
>   - dumps in /var/xen: wtf?

This is the same location as xend uses, so in that sense it is
compatible.

However I don't think this is somewhere that xl (nb: this is a property
of xl, not libxl) needs to slavishly follow what xend did.

What would the correct FHS location for these dumps be?

>   - user data files in /var/lib/xen:
>     What are the guarantees given for this files?

I suppose you are asking for /var/lib vs /var/run (or /run) reasons?

One of the keys by which you lookup this userdata is domid. Which means
that the lifetime of this data is bounded by the life of a domain. Which
means that it need not persist over reboot (which I think argues for
(/var)?/run)

I suppose the other interesting facet is allowable size. The description
of the interface doesn't have anything to say about size. Ian J -- any
thoughts?

>   - /var/run/libxl for temporary files

Are you suggesting that this is being wrongly used by libxl, or that
libxl should use this location for more things than it currently does?
Perhaps some stuff should instead be in /tmp or $TMPDIR?

Other than the xs.h naming issue I don't see anything here which I think
is a blocker for 4.2, I'd say they are mostly "nice to have".

Ian.