Re: [Xen-devel] [xen vMCE RFC V0.2] xen vMCE design

Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> Weeks ago, really. See
>>> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-06/msg01619.html
>>> and follow-ups - we'd really only consider getting the save/restore
>>> interface into forward compatible shape as acceptable.

>>> Unfortunately it's likely going to be even less. However, if split
>>> that way, chances are things could go into e.g. 4.2.1.
>>>
>>> Jan
>>
>> So let's look at current vMCE status first:
>> 1). functionally it work abnormally for guest (but tolerated by some
>> guest like linux/solaris); 2). before xen 4.1 it blocks migration
>> when migrate from big bank to small bank platform;
>
> Before 4.2 you mean (in 4.1 we only have this as a backport in SLE11).

Yes.

>> We may try some middle steps, minimal adjusting for xen 4.2 release
>> (to avoid futher compatible issue at xen 4.2.1, 4.3, ...):
>> 1). we don't handle vMCE function bugs, only make sure migration
>> works OK;
>
> That's the minimal goal.

You mean to fix current vMCE function bugs in xen 4.2? That would involve much
work hence too late for xen 4.2. In fact the bugs currently tolerated by guest,
so it's important but non-urgent.

What we need to do urgently is to adjust current vMCE interface a little so that
1). it would not block xen 4.2 live migration
2). it would not bring compatibility issues to new vMCE in the future
These 2 points are our minimal targets for xen 4.2

Thanks,
Jinsong