Re: [Xen-devel] 4.1.2 very slow without upstream patches, but fast with them, also 4.2 very slow

>>> On 06.08.12 at 12:12, Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote:
> my AMD FX-8150 system with vanilla source code is super slow, both the
> dom0 and domUs. However, after I merge the upstream patches I found in
> the openSUSE rpm, it runs normally.

I'd be very surprised if you really just took the upstream patches,
and the result was better than 4.2-rc1. After all, what upstream
means is that they were taken from -unstable.

> I tried 4.2-unstable and it was the same. There was no rc1 when I tested
> it about 1.5 weeks ago. And 4.2 has the same horrible performance, and
> obviously those patches won't work any more since the 4.2 code looks
> completely reorganized, so I'm stuck with 4.1.2

Obviously the upstream patches can't be applied to something
that already has all those changes. Other patches, of which we
unfortunately have quite a few, would be a different story.

> Here is the rpm I was using at the time:
> http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.1/src/xen-4.1.2_16-1.7.1.src.rpm
>
> To see the list of the patches and what order to apply them, see the
> spec file.

That still won't tell us which patches you did apply.

> Please make sure this performance issue is fixed for the 4.2 release.
> And I would be happy to test whatever files you send me.

The sort of report you're doing isn't that helpful. What would
help is if you could narrow down which patch(es) it is that
make things so much better. Giving 4.1.3-rc a try might also
be worthwhile, albeit I would hope we don't have a regression
in 4.2.0-rc compared to 4.1.3-rc...

Jan