Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2 new features and status -- please help me make a list

On Fri, Sep 07, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 15:34 +0100, Andres Lagar-Cavilla wrote:
>
> > > xenpaging: Page HVM guest pages to disk
> > >        Was marked as tech preview in 4.1 and earlier, still is?
> > >
> > > memsharing: Sharing of HVM guest pages.
> > >        Was marked as tech preview in 4.1 and earlier, still is?
> >
> > Both xenpaging and memsharing are functional as far as I am concerned.
>
> This is on the hypervisor side I guess? Or are the tools as supplied in
> the xen tree useful too?

xenpaging and the hypervisor work ok. The lack of xend/libxl integration
causes small inconvenience because the actual memory footprint has to be
set manually with xenstore-write. And until a target is set in xenstore
the tool does a busyloop. This is fixed with this patch, sent a few days
ago: <b088e473c7fb1a47b957.1346142770@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Xen{paging/sharing} still have border conditions in which domains are
> > crashed. They are rare enough that I have not experienced them in
> > practice. This is due to a need for more mature wait queue code in the
> > hypervisor. The plan is to address this in 4.3.
>
> Perhaps that's an argument for leaving it as tech-preview until 4.3
> then?

I would say yes, at least for paging.

Olaf