Re: [Xen-devel] [libvirt] libxl drivers for libvirt?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 09:55:28AM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:

> >> That sounds like a good plan.  For 4.1, xend is still the default
> >> toolstack, and libxl is a "tech preview"; for 4.2, xl is the default
> >> toolstack, and (if I understand correctly) we're officially going to be
> >> supporting the libxl interface in a backwards-compatible way from here
> >> forward.
> >>
> >> It seems to me that if you have trouble supporting both libxl 4.2 and
> >> libxl 4.1, that it might be better just to drop 4.1 support and focus on
> >> 4.2.  Ian Campbell / Jackson: Thoughts?
> >>

> CC'ing libvirt community to get their input.
>

> > That's what I would do if I were them ;-)
> >

> I tend to agree that this might be the best approach.  The libxl in Xen
> 4.1 is essentially a one-off and I question whether we should pollute
> the libvirt libxl driver code with support for a dead, tech preview
> interface.  Xend is still the primary toolstack in Xen 4.1.x, and
> libvirt has a stable, functional driver for this toolstack that can
> (should) be used in Xen 4.1.x deployments.
>
> Is anyone using the libvirt libxl driver with Xen 4.1 for anything other
> than development or experimentation?
>
> > Another option would be to fork into 4.1 and 4.2+ versions and to stop
> > adding new stuff to the 4.1 copy. That has its own downsides though.
> >

> I'd like to hear what the libvirt community thinks about only supporting
> Xen >= 4.2 in the libxl driver.

Given that libxl was "tech preview" in Xen 4.1, I'm fine with any
proposal to have libvirt libxl only work with Xen 4.2, if that's
what you feel is the most appropriate plan. You're the primary
maintainer if this libvirt driver, so I'll defer to your technical
knowledge here on the supportability issues here.

Regards,
Daniel