Re: [Xen-devel] Question about PoD and Transcendent Memory for HVM

At 10:30 +0800 on 21 Feb (1361442605), Kai Luo wrote:
> Hi:
>       I am working at the source code of Xen 4.1.3 and have two questions
> that confused me.
>       I remembered a mail of XCP-mail-list which said when a hvm is
> created,xen allocate all memory it requests,which can guarantee the
> stability and Qos or something.However,when I come into the part of memory
> source code,I tind the existance of PoD,which can adjust memory
> dynamically,so I want to make sure whether the mechanism of memory
> management between XCP and Xen is differrent,Xen can adjust the memory size
> of HVM dynamically instead of a fixed memory size,am I right?

If the OS running in the HVM VM is Xen-aware and has a balloon driver,
then it can adjust its memory size dynamically, yes.

The PoD feature is a stop-gap to allow the OS to boot and start its
balloon driver, if it's booting with less than its full memory
allocation.  It's not enough by itself: the guest needs to have a
balloon driver as well.

>       I know the Transcendent Memory is a better techniche of memory
> reuse,is it used in xen for HVM now?

I believe so, though again you need OS support in the VM.

Also you should note that using tmem is not recommended in production
environments, pending a security audit:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-announce/2012-09/msg00006.html

Cheers,

Tim.