Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2.1, linux kernel 3.7.5 crashed while reboot

On 02/27/2013 09:35 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> The thing is is that native_machine_emergency_restart is not suppose
>> to be called. The baremetal machine_ops has that, but we over-write
>> it with our own and he should get:
>>
>>          .emergency_restart = xen_emergency_restart,
>>
>> ! So how did his .emergency_restart value get over-written by
>> native_machine_emergency_restart?
>
> Indeed. So perhaps the -hardened tag indicates some patching
> having gone on that we're unaware of. Michal - without knowing
> what your kernel does, I don't think we can really help. And
> please remember that this is xen-devel, not xen-users, so we
> expect you to be able to do at least a minimal share of the work
> needed to find out what is going on. First step would probably
> be to try plain 3.7.5 (or subsequent 3.7.x).
>
> Jan

We are using gentoo hardened sources (kernel). Hardened-sources is based
on the official Linux kernel and is targeted at our users running Gentoo
on server systems. It provides patches for the various subprojects of
Gentoo Hardened (such as support for LSM/SELinux and grsecurity),
together with stability/security-enhancements.
See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml

I will try gentoo-sources (lightly patched to fix security problems,
kernel bugs, and to increase compatibility with the more uncommon system
architectures) and vanilla-sources (official kernel sources released on
http://www.kernel.org/)

Thanks

Michal