Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] CCing MAINTAINERS on patches by default?

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 08:17 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > With the numbers of patches flying around it can be a bit hard for a
> > maintainer to spot patches which (s)he is expected to comment on / deal
> > with, especially now that we have a larger number of maintainers of
> > varying subsystems etc.
> >
> > I think it might be time to start asking patch submitters to CC the
> > maintainers of the code they are touching, based on the MAINTAINERS
> > file.
> >
> > If people (specifically maintainers) agree with this change then we can
> > start by updating the "Submitting Patches" docs on the wiki etc and
> > gently start requesting submitters to add the CCs.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion either way, particularly because the
> way my mail rules are set up I won't pay much more attention to
> stuff I'm getting Cc-ed on than to stuff just sent to xen-devel (the
> only aspect catching my attention in that case is the double mails
> I'm getting, which at times - when xen-devel delivery lags - isn't
> really meaningful at all). IOW to me this would merely mean a
> bigger inbox with not much gain.
>
> And then again, even on Linux I find it quite ugly to have to copy
> not just maintainers, but people merely having touched the code.
>
> Plus the general expectation there appears to be to mail patches
> _to_ the real maintainer(s), and copy others who touched the code
> as well as the corresponding list. That, minus the often pointless
> copying of other only possibly interested parties who touched the
> code in question, would seem more appropriate to me.

Right, I would only suggest copying the actual maintainers (i.e. those
listed in MAINTAINERS) + anyone who you know *from personal experience*
(i.e. not automated) might be interested in the change. The mad Linux
way of CCing anyone who ever touched the file isn't useful IME.

Ian.