Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] CCing MAINTAINERS on patches by default?

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 20:35 +0000, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 05:07:42PM +0000, Tim Deegan wrote:
> > At 17:00 +0000 on 12 Mar (1363107618), Ian Campbell wrote:
> > > With the numbers of patches flying around it can be a bit hard for a
> > > maintainer to spot patches which (s)he is expected to comment on / deal
> > > with, especially now that we have a larger number of maintainers of
> > > varying subsystems etc.
> > >
> > > I think it might be time to start asking patch submitters to CC the
> > > maintainers of the code they are touching, based on the MAINTAINERS
> > > file.
> > >
> > > If people (specifically maintainers) agree with this change then we can
> > > start by updating the "Submitting Patches" docs on the wiki etc and
> > > gently start requesting submitters to add the CCs.
> >
> > Fine by me; I usually work from my xen-devel inbox but I don't object to
> > being Cc'd directly.
> >
> > Can we provide git/hg runes to add Cc:s automatically?
>
> That would be neat. Linux uses scripts/get_maintainers.pl to fetch from
> the MAINTAINERS file the names of folks. That could be imported in?

Linux's get_maintainers.pl is way too aggressive about who it defaults
to CCing (basically the world and his dog). How about we go with asking
for manual CCs for now and we can revisit tooling (e.g. tweaking the
get_maintainer's defaults) once we've got a feel for what works for us.

Ian.