Re: [Xen-devel] OT: xen libvirt issue

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> AL13N wrote:

> >> I believe it is already fixed in unstable by this commit:
> >> 5f5ef65babc2ca15f43b775c4b47b0102fa2a632 "libxl: fix stale timeout event
> >> callback race"
> >>
> >> Sadly backport to 4.2 isn't trivial.
> >>

> > Looking at the patch i totally agree that it isn't trivial...
> >

> It will certainly help, but I've heard reports there are still problems
> even with that patch.  IIRC, Bamvor has seen a similar segfault using
> git master of libvirt and xen-unstable, although it is a bit harder to
> trigger.

Do you have a link to a bug report somewhere?

> I think we need to rework the code for handling shutdown events.  The
> current code worked with libxl in Xen 4.1, but has proven to be racy
> with libxl in Xen 4.2.  I plan to work on this, but unfortunately not
> for a few weeks.  I'm busy with another project this week and will be
> traveling the week of April 15.

I realize that it actually takes time but it would be great if you could
write down in a bit more details the proposed fix, in case somebody else
volunteers to fix the issue in the meantime.

> > i'll hold off for now. and will work more towards libvirt integration for
> > Mageia 4 (our release freeze is now in effect for Mageia 3).
> >

> FYI, although it is deprecated, the xm/xend toolstack works well with
> Xen 4.2, and the legacy libvirt xen driver is quite stable.  It was the
> first hypervisor driver in libvirt  :).

The problem is that xend doesn't support upstream QEMU as a disk
backend, and the status of blktap in most distros is pretty poor.