[Xen-devel] Upcoming RC0

We're scheduled to do an RC next week; originally it was Monday, but
that's a bank holiday here in the UK, so many of us will be off work;
so I propose doing one on Tuesday.

IanC suggested that we should have a short code-freeze window before
each RC to make sure that nothing is introduced that will cause test
failures.  So I'm asking committers to hold off on committing anything
that is not directly related to making the tests pass, or to fixing
specific issues that need to be fixed before RC0.

The one major bug we have outstanding is the RTC one -- as that
basically prevents w2k3 from working at all, it would be good to have
that one fixed if possible by the test day on Wednesday.

Keir, IanC, IanJ, do you guys have any opinions on this one?

Jan thinks that since we have an understanding of what the issue is,
and a patch series that fixes the problem (as far as we can tell) for
w2k3.

Tim things we just don't have enough time to be sure we can catch all
the bugs, so we should revert all the RTC made in the last few months.

I can see the point of both sides; however, Tim found some issues even
in the patch series that Jan posted recently, which (sorry to be
frank, Jan) doesn't give me confidence that we won't have random bugs
that we end up tripping over after the release.

Overall I'd rather defer to Tim, Jan, and Keir; but if I were asked to
make a recommendation, I would go with Tim's.

As long, that is, as we are confident that we can back the changes out
easily.  If reverting the changes is a complicated business, we risk
bugs either way; in which case we might as well move forward.

 -George