Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:58:27AM +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Anthony we did some considerations as follow based on our tests:
>
> - According to this link:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/libxl_memory.txt we
> noticed that on hvm domU the videomemory is actually passed
> separately by guest ram and after the build start.
>
> - In presence of the xen hypervisor seabios gets some
> parameters/tables from hvmloader, which is not the case in absence
> of xen hypervisor.

So did anyone track down if seabios gets the correct configuration
with Xen/hvmloader with QXL device enabled?

Is there some simple way to dump the seabios active configuration from the VM?

I understand the method of handing out configuration to seabios is different
between plain Qemu and Xen/hvmloader.

> - On qemu log when qxl is enabled and qemu crashes there are error
> about memory address, which may be related to some mismatch between
> hvmloader's tables and/or actual libxl memory settings.

I guess checking/comparing seabios configuration in the following cases:

        - Plain Qemu with stdvga compared to Plain Qemu with QXL
        - Xen with stdvga compared to Xen with QXL

Might help to see the difference in (seabios) configuration between non-Xen and
Xen?

Btw does /proc/iomem reveal anything interesting in the VM,
again Non-Xen QXL vs. Xen QXL ?

Just some thoughts..

-- Pasi