Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

Il 13/05/2013 12:26, Ian Campbell ha scritto:
On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 15:30 +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 10/05/2013 13:24, Anthony PERARD ha scritto:
On 10/05/13 12:08, Anthony PERARD wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
* qxl not actually working
    > qxl apparently not enabled during compile by default
    > Appear to be some other bugs even when it is working:
    >http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-11/msg00713.html
    owner: ? (Anthony was going to take a look)
    We need to either fix both of these problems or disable qxl for 4.3
Anthony, you were going to take a look at this; did you make any progress?
Yes, I'm still trying to figure out how to enable qxl in the VM.
And now, I can search why QEMU crash when starting Xorg with qxl.

Hi, thanks for your help.
I'm trying to have qxl full working on xen since end of 2011.
Since half of 2012 is at least working as standard vga.
This means with:
         vga = "qxl"

in your configuration file?
Yes
Are you saying that this configuration
works?
For now it works only as standard vga
  If not this then which configuration do you believe works?
With qxl driver enabled on domU's os, qemu crashes
The libxl patch should be correct, also with memory size setting.
I have tried same parameters of libxl qxl patch without xen and are working.
Also without kvm was working even if performance was really bad but at
least qemu did not crash on start with qxl driver.
Based on this test the problem seems to be xen related problem, probably
about hvmloader.
What is the configuration which fails?
See on attachment

Which libxl patch "should be correct"? libxl has lots of patches!
This patch that I refer:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=aab4d1b266ce9891a684704f6abf6a5f6b3f7c24

So are you saying that although the libxl patch "should be correct" it
is in fact not sufficient to make qxl work?
The qemu parameters used are correct, for now on xen works only as standard vga but on kvm and qemu-only tests works also with qxl driver.
The difference with xen appares to be only on hvmloader.
I tried to find the exactly problem without result, based on seabios debug I saw that when it detects xen hypervisor, seabios relies on tables passed by hvmloader instead generate them. Is the only effective difference viewed with seabios debug with and without xen.
I have tried a lot of time to found exactly what the problem is without
success for now.
I have very little knowledge about these parts.
Which possible causes have you investigated and ruled out? What possible
causes have you been unable to check one way or the other?

If you ask questions about specific things which you cannot follow then
we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Ian.

Hope that information above can help to clarify the whole problem.
If you need more details tell me and I'll post them.

Thanks for any reply.