Re: [Xen-devel] EL6 initscript feedback.

On 05/21/2013 09:20 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013, Steven Haigh wrote:
Hi all,

I'm throwing in my initscript here that I've been pushing to autostart xen
domains on system boot.

There are at least one issue right now that I'm not 100% sure how to handle -
and that is domains created by libvirt. These continue to show in an xm/xl
list output even when they are not paused / running / blocked - causing my
initscript to think they are still running.

The ways I can think of detecting this are *very* hacky and I wouldn't feel
comfortable to including them in widely used packages.

I'm wondering if people have some spare time that they review the logic in
this initscript and provide feedback / suggestions / fixes / improvements that
I can roll into the scripts to enhance them for all.

Is it actually a good idea to mix and match different toolstacks on the
same host? If somebody intends to use libvirt, surely she would want to
use it for everything?

This is the interesting question... which probably leads into a more important question... What is the best practices for config management and defining configuration for DomU's?

While I recommend that people use a plain text config file in /etc/xen (although really the files can be just about anywhere) and then links to various auto-start DomU's in /etc/xen/auto as a general rule.

Am I correct in thinking that libvirt only keeps details of domains in the xenstore? Is this recommended? Although more a libvirt question - can libvirt be configured to use config files in /etc/xen or similar?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx
Web: https://www.crc.id.au