Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] xen forum

  • To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 17:00:43 +0100 (BST)
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 21 May 2013 16:01:02 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=VPw9Iu8VsD3wpVw6FNKDJtIrAy+d9AknLHG61aAvKbECnZFkJl4zweqwjtq+hmOQDBnUhd1FMGA4AaANN9pXytLXg79CzzpmxtTejQS7xN/h1BGcaxyAhOM9j4qKXW+f4NZ+D5L8FkZ137qwqwXhIVv91qi7bzEmYxdYCkzFShU=;

>>  My own experience is that posts (at least from me) are regularly
>>  missed/ignored on the devel list, including a signed patch,
>
> Do you have a link to that patch? As explained in the submission
> guidelines http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Patches things do
> fall through the gaps but it is the submitters responsibility to ping
> and resend as necessary.

I starting going through the process of resubmitting (the process having
completely changed) but then had a problem with git blocking changes to
xendomains file. I asked a question about the issue on xen-dev which - guess
what - got ignored. So, there is only so much one can do. :)

Original patch:-
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-06/msg01092.html

Follow up question in an attempt to resubmit:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-03/msg01408.html

Both ignored. Gave up.

>>   so I personally think a bug tracker would be a better option. Bug
>>  trackers don't (or at least shouldn't :) ) forget or miss.
>
> That's irrelevant unless the people you are trying to communicate with
> are regularly checking the BTS, which they are not.

Well, if a maintainer who is trying to squish bugs is not using the bug
tracker, then yes, it completely useless!

> Why would you expect to be more assured of a reply to your mails if a
> bug tracker had automatically logged them?

I am not assured of a reply, but surely the idea of a tracking system is that
bugs don't get forgotten about. In my case, I would have raised an issue
against xendomains, hopefully stated wants seems to go wrong and either it sits
there and is dealt with, batted back to me for more info, or willfully ignored.
But never should it just get "lost in the cracks".

I'll shut up about it now, because whoever decides these things will do what
they want, anyway.