Re: [Xen-devel] nested virtualizaiton test report for Xen 4.3-RC1

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:37:56PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Ren, Yongjie <yongjie.ren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > This the a nested virtualization test report for Xen 4.3-RC1 on Intel
> > hardware. We use Linux 3.9.1 as Dom0.
> > a. Virtual EPT and VMCS shadowing features can work fine.
> > b. Xen, KVM and VMware can basically work on top of L0 Xen.
> > c. 32bit/64bit Linux and Windows are covered as L2 guests.
>
> Sorry I just saw this -- thanks for the nice enumeration.
>
> Two questions.  First, I don't see the Win7 "XP compatibility mode" on
> this list -- that would be L0 Xen, L1 Win7, L2 XP.  This seems like
> probably the most likely actual real-world use of nested virt.  Is
> that on your radar at all?
>
> Secondly, what do you think is the primary use case for Xen-on-Xen (or
> KVM-on-Xen, &c)?  Who would want to use it and why?

I can think of at least two use-cases:

- Xen-on-Xen might be good for testing/debugging the hypervisor.. Much easier
to crash and debug the virtual Xen rather than physical machine.
- Xen-on-Xen makes it possible to create easy-and-fast-to-clone lab/poc/test
environments with "full" functionality thanks to virtual vmx and ept..

-- Pasi