Re: [Xen-devel] Problem starting HVM guest in Xen 4.3 RC6 when NOT using device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"

On Sat, 2013-06-29 at 16:40 +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> >> And in fact it is the latest ?
> >>
> >> Hrmmm it seems a make clean && git pull && make in the xen dir, does
> >> update the commit id for the qemu tree in Config.mk
> >> But the tree it self in /tools/qemu-xen-dir doesn't seem to be updated
> >> accordingly ..
> >>
> >> Could it be your tools/qemu-xen-dir is also not on the latest commit ?
>
> > This is beyond my knowledge, to please persevere with me :)
>
> > Here are what I think are the relevant bits of my Config.mk. That qemu
> > commit ID seems to match the change in the last commit before RC6,
> > according to gitweb.
>
> > How can I tell if tools/qemu-xen-dir matches this?
>
> Just do a git log in the tools/qemu-xen-dir and seem what the latest commit
> is (and compare to what it should be according to the Config.mk).
> When you are working with an old xen clone it seems you also have the change
> running an old(er) qemu since it doesn't seem to be auto updated to the
> commit id from the Config.mk
>
> > I think I will make a new clone of Xen.
>
> A fresh clone should fix that up since that also pulls a fresh qemu tree in.

You can also run "make tools/qemu-xen-dir-force-update" (simlarly for
tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-force-update and
tools/firmware/seabios-dir-force-update). We could really do with a rule
which depends on all of those to force everything to be updated.

The reason we don't do this automatically is we are wary of destroying
people's local changes/work. A local commit is one thing (you can get it
back from the reflog) but we were more concerned about dirty trees i.e.
losing work which hasn't been committed.

It's certainly likely that the git cloning runes here could be made
smarter. One approach might be to stash the git tag which the build
system checked out in a hidden file (tools/.qemu-xen-dir.sha1?) and only
force the update if it is the same as the current head, different to the
desired head and the tree is not dirty. It could also print bigger
warning messages when one or more of these isn't the case.

scripts/git-checkout.sh is the place for anyone wanting to improve the
situation here to look.

Ian.