Re: [Xen-devel] Problem starting HVM guest in Xen 4.3 RC6 when NOT using device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"

  • To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>, Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 13:26:58 +0100 (BST)
  • Cc: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 12:27:20 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=AqfzuDhXdZNE/kO2luE9lm1rrcZnJawqgCuGp69GcKkgxShYCeBsTf5RZzFEFfYmkQrxucjbvfZOP8jUEQtrv1bspg52ALk4NvKqA5NqB2y4gW8yk65ppn13MeIkO+cGlyQG9iyEpLmmziFYjuZ6T14sxryztUWPlfw35VMLIxY=;

> You can also run "make tools/qemu-xen-dir-force-update" (simlarly for
> tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-force-update and
> tools/firmware/seabios-dir-force-update). We could really do with a rule
> which depends on all of those to force everything to be updated.
>
> The reason we don't do this automatically is we are wary of destroying
> people's local changes/work. A local commit is one thing (you can get it
> back from the reflog) but we were more concerned about dirty trees i.e.
> losing work which hasn't been committed.
>
> It's certainly likely that the git cloning runes here could be made
> smarter. One approach might be to stash the git tag which the build
> system checked out in a hidden file (tools/.qemu-xen-dir.sha1?) and only
> force the update if it is the same as the current head, different to the
> desired head and the tree is not dirty. It could also print bigger
> warning messages when one or more of these isn't the case.
>
> scripts/git-checkout.sh is the place for anyone wanting to improve the
> situation here to look.

It's not a mistake I am likely to make again, but I am sure I will not be the
last. Even a warning message that the qemus and seabios will not be brought
up-to-date, when performing a 'make clean' might be enough IMHO.