Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Automatically making a PCI device assignable in the config file

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > I suspect that a lot of people will want to have one network card
> > assigned to domain 0 as a "management network", and only have other
> > devices assigned to driver domains.  I think that having one device
> > per domain is probably the best recommendation; although we
> > obviously want to support someone who wants a single "manage all the
> > devices" domain, we should assume that people are going to have one
> > device per driver domain.
>
> I don't know. My feeble idea was that we would have at minimum _two_
> guests on bootup. One is a control one that has no devices - but is
> the one that launches the guests.

So this would be "dom0".

> Then there is the dom1 which would have all (or some) of the storage
> and network devices plugged in along with the backends. Then a dom2
> which would be the old-style-dom0 - so it would have the graphic card
> and the rest of the PCI devices.

If "dom2" has the graphic card, then it's the domain the user is
interacting with. Therefore the user would be starting domains by using
a tool in "dom2" then it would need to communicate with "dom0" to do
the actual domain creation.

I am not arguing against this solution, but this sounds very much like a
"stage 2" thing to have.
I would keep "dom0" and "dom2" collapsed in the same domain for the
moment.