Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Automatically making a PCI device assignable in the config file

George Dunlap writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Automatically making a PCI device
assignable in the config file"):
> Auto-seizing is fairly dangerous; you could easily accidentally yank out
> the ethernet card, or even the disk that dom0 is using.  I really think
> it should have to be enabled on a device-by-device basis.

I don't think this makes any sense.

In practice you are saying that in order to avoid mistakes, the local
admin must provide the BDF of the device to be passed through in two
separate places.

But that doesn't actually help.  If this is all properly documented
and so forth (ie, if the admin has a smooth experience and doesn't
trip over having dailed to "seize" the device), they will just
cut-and-paste the same value into both places in the config.

They will also mutter under their breath to ask why this is
necessary...

Ian.