Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Automatically making a PCI device assignable in the config file

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:45:49 +0100, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/07/13 14:55, Ian Jackson wrote:
George Dunlap writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Automatically making a PCI device assignable in the config file"):
Auto-seizing is fairly dangerous; you could easily accidentally yank out the ethernet card, or even the disk that dom0 is using. I really think
it should have to be enabled on a device-by-device basis.
I don't think this makes any sense.

In practice you are saying that in order to avoid mistakes, the local
admin must provide the BDF of the device to be passed through in two
separate places.

That's not what I had in mind; what I had in mind was something like this:

pci = [ '08:04.1,seize=1' ]

Or alternately:

xl pci-attach h0 08:04.1,seize=1

One could also imagine having something in xl.conf like the following:

pci.autoseize = [ '08:04.1','01:00.0' ]

In this case you wouldn't be simply copy and pasting, because you'd
probably have different domains handling each device.  But in any
case, this was just exploring the alternatives -- I don't think that's
the best thing to do.

But that doesn't actually help.  If this is all properly documented
and so forth (ie, if the admin has a smooth experience and doesn't
trip over having dailed to "seize" the device), they will just
cut-and-paste the same value into both places in the config.

They will also mutter under their breath to ask why this is
necessary...

If someone can accidentally type "xl pci-attach 08:04.0" instead of
"xl pci-attach 08.04.1" and suddenly completely lose their network
connectivity (or yank their hard drive out), then I think they'll
appreciate it.

In any case, at the moment it's much worse: you have to either
scriptwise run "xl pci-assignable-add" a device, or add an exclusion
on the Linux commandline in grub.  So far I'm the only person I know
who has complained about it. :-)

This would be an awesome feature, but success can be mixed. My
experience is that Nvidia drivers (as one example, I'm sure there
are others) don't handle device detaching very gracefully. ACS
might help but I have no means of testing
that at the moment. So ultimately, you still have to either
exclude at least some devices from grub (if
xen-pciback is built in) or in modprobe.d (attach device to
pciback in driver pre-install). I'm not sure what can be
done about this considering we are talking about 3rd
party binary drivers. :(

Gordan