Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 released!

On 11/07/13 10:41, Ben Guthro wrote:
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The Xen Project team is pleased to announce the release of Xen 4.3.

The result of nearly 10 of development, new features include:
  * Early support for ARM 32- and 64-bit architectures
  * qemu-upstream is now the default for VMs not using stub domains.
  * openvswitch hot-plug script support.
  * NUMA affinity for the scheduler
  * xl can now accept several USB devices, rather than only one.
  * XSM improvements.  XSM can now override all IS_PRIV checks in the
hypervisor.
  * As always, a number of stability, performance, and security
enhancements "under the hood".

Detailed release notes, including a more extensive feature list:
   http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.3_Release_Notes

To download tarballs:

http://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives/supported-xen-43-series/xen-430.html
Or the git source repository (tag 'RELEASE-4.3.0'):
   http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git

Hi George,

Thanks for all the effort in coordinating this release.

Generally, I prefer to wait until things clear the necessary gates to
get out of the staging-4.3 (or whatever staging tree) before rebasing
our XenClient patches on top of it, as it usually means it passed some
level of automated testing through osstest.

In this case, the staging-4.3 tree is where the RELEASE-4.3.0 tag
exists, but the stable-4.3 tag seems to be a handful of changesets
behind, despite being released a couple days ago.

Could you, or others comment on this discrepancy?
Is the fact that the stable-4.3 tree is lagging behind the staging-4.3
branch an oversight, or has it not passed some push gate?

The last few changes have not passed the push gate.

Unfortunately, osstest died over the weekend, at the same time that Ian Jackson, who is in charge of it, fell dreadfully ill. By the time it was noticed, the announcement had already been given to the press. We had the choice of going through with the release with the last few changes not quite tested, or having an apology on the download page; and we had only a few hours or so to actually make a decision.

Looking at the changesets, we decided that on the whole the best thing in the circumstances would be to do our own testing and then go through with the release.

The tester ran on 4.3 for the first time this morning, and there was some issue with the QEMU tag. That will probably be sorted shortly.

This has obviously highlighted a few deficiencies in the process that we'll have to fix in future releases:

* We should remove debug=y in the middle of RCs, to make sure we get good testing without that change made * If we're going to do a big announcement, Linux Foundation-style, we need to have things branched, tagged and tested a week before the announcement.

Any other feedback is also welcome.

 -George