Re: [Xen-devel] xend deprecation

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 04:34:30PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 16:18 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> > <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > And I think I might have to lobby hard against removing it.
>
> If by lobby you mean "step up to maintain" then please do.

I can surely do that, but I would prefer to have the issues fixed.

> > > There are issues that are stopping us from using it:
> > >
> > >  - No status in xl list -l when only dom0 is present.
>
> xl list -l produces a tonne of output here when only dom0 is present.
>
> > >  - 'xl list -l' says 'Domain name must be specified' even though the '-l'
> > >    is for 'Output all VM details'
>
> Not here it doesn't.
>
> IIRC this was a bug in 4.1 or 4.2 timescales, which is now fixed.

Odd, I am running Xen 4.3. Hm, time to rebase.

> > >  - xl list -l for PV guest has bug: itâs not formated S-expression text.
>
> This is a feature not a bug. However you can request an sxp
> compatibility mode (I forget how, check the manpage). Note that this
> doesn't include new features, so you would be advised to make plans to
> switch to consuming the json variant.
>
> > >  - No console in xl list -l, so can't get  tty console port.
>
> That one should be easily fixable
>
> > >  - xl uses SSH for migration. We need SSL daemon or socat like xend has.
>
> You can provide any tool you like to run instead of ssh, including an
> ssl daemon/client or socat. See the manpage.

Right, except that the socat part does not work as the 'ssh' arguments
are encoded in the code. I am not saying that these are 'earth-shattering hard
to fix' it just that they should be done before Xend is gone.

> > > Those should be fixed at some point :-) Problem is that other things
> > > keep on popping up on the radar and hence we end up using xend.
> >
> > Uum, when were you going to report these?  A lot of us were under the
> > impression that xl behaved sufficiently like xend for anyone who
> > cared.
> >
> > Maybe we should make an announcement (on blog, xen-users, xen-devel,
> > and xen-announce) that there has been a proposal to make 4.4 the last
> > release with xend, and so it's important to report all bugs / missing
> > features of xl so we can get them fixed by the 4.4 release?
>
> Didn't we do this for 4.2 or 4.3? We didn't get much feedback.

No idea.