Re: [Xen-devel] Questions about hvm domU default devices with upstream qemu

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Fabio Fantoni wrote:

>> > I agree that this is important and thanks for raising the issue.
>> > It would be nice if somebody stepped up to do the q35 work.
>>
>> Thanks for reply, can you reply also on questions about default devices with
>> upstream qemu please?
>
> I think it might be a good idea to keep the same set of default devices
> between qemu-traditional and qemu-xen.
>
> We always had an empty cdrom and I don't see why we should remove it. If
> cd-insert doesn't work, it's a bug and should be fixed.

It sounds similar to the floppy disk thing: if you don't specifically
tell qemu that you do *not* want a cdrom, it will give you one; but
since xl doesn't know anything about it, you can't actually use it.

It seems like there needs to be a "--no-default-devices" option for
qemu that will say, "No really, only put in what I ask you to put in."

> Supporting spice in PV guests would be hard, because spice needs QXL
> that is a PCI device. PV guests don't have a PCI bus. Of course if
> somebody did the work to make QXL and spice work with PV guests I would
> be happy to accept it.

If I recall correctly, isn't part of the problem that the PCI access
essentially requires synchronous communication via MMIO accesses?
We'd basically have to add a device model and MMIO handling to PV
guests.  Possible but far from simple.  (Possibly easier for PVH
domains once they come out.)

 -George