Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update -- RFC for feature freeze timeline

On 27/09/13 08:41, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 26.09.13 at 18:47, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nonetheless, it does seem likely that delaying for a month may allow a
significant number of important features to get in.

Any thoughts?
I'm in favor of pushing back by a month as long as this allows at
least a fair share of the listed pending things to go in.

Well it's really hard to say -- back in January I said that the USB hot-plug series was basically ready to go in, but it wasn't ready by April when we had the feature freeze. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading tea leaves here. :-) All we can do is make our best stab at things, and then go back and see how we did.

An
alternative would be a weak feature freeze (no new features
except for a well defined set) on the original date, but that would
certainly undermine the stabilizing phase to some degree.

Well in theory it would allow "frozen" parts of the code (those not touched by the well-defined set of features) to start stabilizing while we are still working on non-frozen parts. But the non-frozen parts still need to be stabilized, and the features we are talking about including are pretty big and will need a decent amount of time for stabilization; so I don't really see how doing a partial freeze is going to really help that much.

 -George