Re: [Xen-devel] Arndale: domU not booting

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 13:35 +0200, Josep Subirats wrote:
> Dear Mr. Campbell,
>
> Many thanks for your answer. I recompiled the dom0 kernel with GNTDEV
> (couldn't find gnttab, were you referring to gntdev?) built into the
> kernel, and any other XEN driver.

It looks like the message has gone, so you've got the right one,

>  Should I also recompile the domU kernel with this option?

Not for your use case (i.e. getting a basic domU running).

>  I also gave execution rights to the "image" (kernel+xendtb) file,
> just in case.

There is no need, but it is harmless enough to do so.

>  I installed qemu-system and qemu-utils and
> linked /usr/local/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386 to the path where
> qemu-system-i386 was actually located.

This wasn't necessary. The warning is benign.

>  When I boot, I execute:
>
> root@arndale:~/vmTest# /etc/init.d/xencommons start
> Starting C xenstored...
> Setting domain 0 name...
> Starting xenconsoled...
> Starting QEMU as disk backend for dom0
> Option xen-domid not supported for this target

What does your disk stanza look like? Currently only "phy" type ones are
supported on ARM. It looks like you are using something wihch wants to
use a qemu backend, which is not something the rest of us have tried
yet. I recommend using either a physical device or /dev/loop for the
time being

> root@arndale:~/vmTest# /etc/init.d/xendomains start
>
> What I now get when I try to create the VM is:
>
> root@arndale:~/vmTest# xl create -c vmTest.cfg
> Parsing config from vmTest.cfg
> /etc/xen/scripts/block-common.sh: line 1: JÕï:ïïïÊ/_yï^ïïïïïAï: No
> such file or directory

Something is very wrong/corrupted with your root filesystem and or the
device underlying it.

> After this, the filesystem becomes read-only and I have to reboot the
> whole board. What can be happening?

My first impression is that your disk or mmc or whatever is busy dying.

Ian.