Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] x86/HVM: Fix RTC interrupt modelling

On 11/02/14 13:15, Tim Deegan wrote:
>>> Oh, I see -- the current code doesn't turn the vpt off when !PIE.  Can
>>> you remember why not?  Have I forgotten some wrinkle or race here?
>> Because an OS could inspect PF without setting PIE.
> Ugh. :(

>>> That's pretty much what we're doing here -- the pt_intr_post callback
>>> sets PF|IRQF when the interrupt is injected.
>> Right, except you do this be reverting other stuff rather than
>> adding the missing functionality on top.
> Absolutely -- because once we went back to having PF set only when the
> interrupt was injected, it seemed better to reduce the amount of
> special-case plumbing for RTC than to add yet more.
>
> But for the case of an OS polling for PF with PIE clear, I guess we
> might need to keep all the current special cases.  Was that a known
> observed bug or a theoretical one?  I can't see a way of handling
> both that case and the w2k3 case.
>
> Either we always set PF when the tick happens, even if the interrupt
> is masked (which breaks w2k3) or we don't set it until we can deliver
> the interrupt (which breaks pollers).

This doesn't break w2k3.  Setting PF when a tick happens (or should
happen for !PIE) is the correct thing to do.

The bug is that we see an interrupt pending and set PF when we
shouldn't, so w2k3 is constantly seeing PF set when it shouldn't be.
The first read of REG_C should clear PF, which should then stay clear
until the next 64Hz period is up, whether or not interrupts are pending
injection.

~Andrew