Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] x86/HVM: Fix RTC interrupt modelling

>> > Or do we have to treat 'masked in REG_B/IOAPIC' differently from
>> > 'masked by ISR/TPR/RFLAGS.IF/...'?
>>
>> ... this might be the right direction (albeit I think it would be REG_B
>> on one side and collectively IOAPIC/ISR/TPR/EFLAGS.IF).
>
> Yeah, maybe.
>
> Something like, if !PIE then we set PF and consume the tick in the
> early vpt callback, otherwise we do it in the late callback (and in
> both cases, the early vpt callback doesn't actually assert the line)?

Yes. Question is how intrusive a change that would be (namely to
have the two callbacks deal correctly with an RTC register - in
particular PIE - changing between them being called).

> Or: we drop the early callback, and go back to setting PF|IRQF in the
> pt_intr_post callback (much like the patch under discussion), and
> disable the vpt when the guest clears PIE.  Then in the REG_C read, if
> !PIE, we can set the PF bit if a tick should have happened since
> the last read (but saving ourselves the bother of running the actual
> timer).  Then the only case where things are wrong is an OS which
> _both_ polls for the edge _and_ relies on the vpt logic for adding the
> right number of ticks after being descheduled.  Or an OS which asks
> for interrupts, masks them in the *APIC/RFLAGS and then polls for PF.
> But that guest, I think, is indistinguishable from w2k3 in the stuck
> state.
>
> Actually that second patch doesn't sound too bad.  If that sounds OK
> to you I can look into coding it up on Thursday.

That second one might be okay too, as long as it is clearly written
down in at least the commit message which modes we expect to
work and which not.

Jan