Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2 2/4] net: enables interface option to skip IP

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Zoltan Kiss <zoltan.kiss@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> As discussed in the other threads though there *is* some use cases
>> of assigning IPv4 or IPv6 addresses to the backend interfaces though:
>> routing them (although its unclear to me if iptables can be used
>> instead, Zoltan?).
>
> Not with OVS, it steals the packet before netfilter hooks.

Got it, thanks! Can't the route be added using a front-end IP address
instead on the host though ? I just tried that on a Xen system and it
seems to work. Perhaps I'm not understand the exact topology on the
routing case. So in my case I have the backend without any IPv4 or
IPv6 interfaces, the guest has IPv4, IPv6 addresses and even a TUN for
VPN and I can create routes on the host to the front end by not using
the backend device name but instead using the front-end target IP.

  Luis