Re: [Xen-devel] Xen on ARM: domU ramdisk support

On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 16:00 -0800, Jonathan Daugherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to load a Linux domU on an Arndale board, but the
> 'ramdisk' setting in my domain configuration file appears to have no
> impact on the Linux kernel I'm booting.  What is the status of support
> for domU initrds in Xen on ARM at the moment?

Still TBD I'm afraid :-(

> I took a look at libxl and found that perhaps libxl_arm.c should be
> doing something to set up the FDT nodes describing the initrd start/end,
> but I see no evidence of it there.

Right, I think that is one piece which is missing.

The other bit is that xc_dom_arm.c:arch_setup_meminit (probably that's
the right place) need to pick a suitable address and set it in
ramdisk_seg. The selected address will need to conform to the
constraints documented in linux/Documentation/arm64/booting.txt and
linux/Documentation/arm/Booting. It can either meet both, as
xen/arch/arm/kernel.c does for dom0, or make it conditional on the guest
type.

Once ramdisk_seg is populated I *think* the generic libxc code will load
it into RAM automatically and then it just needs the reference from the
DTB nodes.

> I may have time to write a patch if this is something that needs doing.

It is, and please do it would be much appreciated.

Ian.