Re: [Xen-devel] HVM crash system on AMD APU A8-6600K

On 03/05/2014 16:43, Vitaliy Tomin wrote:
> Ok, after 3 weeks waiting for reply from Asrock they still no reply
> and I've tried bios downgrading. After I downrade BIOS from P2.40
> (latest) to P2.20 xen and linux kernel showed all CPU cores have same
> microcode version:
>
> (XEN) masked ExtINT on CPU#1
> (XEN) microcode: CPU1 collect_cpu_info: patch_id=0x6001119
> (XEN) masked ExtINT on CPU#2
> (XEN) microcode: CPU2 collect_cpu_info: patch_id=0x6001119
> (XEN) masked ExtINT on CPU#3
> (XEN) microcode: CPU3 collect_cpu_info: patch_id=0x6001119
> (XEN) Brought up 4 CPUs
>
> But still no message about CPU#0. With Linux kernel all 4 cores now
> have same microcode version.
> Next i've tested xen hvm with hvm guests and it looks stable now, at
> least no crashes after 2 hours.

Hmm - I would have expected some comment about microcode on cpu0, but it
would be rather earlier during boot than this, but there doesn't appear
to be.

Still, its good you appear to have gotten to the bottom of this.

It might be worth Xen detecting mismatched microcode and issuing a very
large warning about potential system instability.

>> (XEN) mtrr: your CPUs had inconsistent variable MTRR settings
> Still appears in console log. Log with downgraded BIOS attached.

This is slightly different.  It is a warning issued when Xen fixes the
MTRR settings to be consistent.  The warning is around just because it
is indicative of other firmware issues which Xen can't fix up itself.

~Andrew