Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Platform QoS design discussion

On 07/05/14 14:26, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Andrew Cooper
> <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Absolutely.

If that logical set of nested loops is on a remote control instance
where get-$TYPE-information-for-$DOMAIN involves rpc to a particular
dom0, then the domctls can be approximated as being functionally
infinite time periods apart.

If the set of nested loops is a daemon or script in dom0, the domctls
will be very close together.

As the current implementation involves taking a global spinlock, IPI'ing
the other sockets and MSR interactions, the net impact on the running
system can be massive, particularly if back-to-back IPIs interrupt HVM
guests.

> We have two different hypercalls right now for getting "dominfo": a
> domctl and a sysctl.  You use the domctl if you want information about
> a single domain, you use sysctl if you want information about all
> domains.  The sysctl implementation calls the domctl implementation
> internally.

It is not a fair comparison, given the completely different nature of
the domctls in question.  XEN_DOMCTL_getdomaininfo is doing very little
more than reading specific bits of data out the appropriate struct
domain and its struct vcpu's which can trivially be done by the cpu
handling the hypercall.

> Is there a problem with doing the same thing here?  Or, with starting
> with a domctl, and then creating a sysctl if iterating over all
> domains (and calling the domctl internally) if we measure the domctl
> to be too slow for many callers?
>
>  -George

My problem is not with the domctl per-se.

My problem is that this is not a QoS design discussion;  this is an
email thread about a specific QoS implementation which is not answering
the concerns raised against it to the satisfaction of people raising the
concerns.

The core argument here is that a statement of "OpenStack want to get a
piece of QoS data back from libvirt/xenapi when querying a specific
domain" is being used to justify implementing the hypercall in an
identical fashion.

This is not a libxl design; this is a single user story forming part of
the requirement "I as a cloud service provider would like QoS
information for each VM to be available to my
$CHOSEN_ORCHESTRATION_SOFTWARE so I can {differentially charge
customers, balance my load more evenly, etc}".

The only valid justification for implementing a brand new hypercall in a
certain way is "Because $THIS_CERTAIN_WAY is the $MOST_SENSIBLE way to
perform the actions I need to perform", for appropriately
substitutions.  Not "because it is the same way I want to hand this
information off at the higher level".

As part of this design discussion. I have raised a concern saying "I
believe the usecase of having a stats gathering daemon in dom0 has not
been appropriately considered", qualified with "If you were to use the
domctl as currently designed from a stats gathering daemon, you will
cripple Xen with the overhead".

Going back to the original use, xenapi has a stats daemon for these
things.  It has an rpc interface so a query given a specific domain can
return some or all data for that domain, but it very definitely does not
translate each request into a hypercall for the requested information.
I have no real experience with libvirt, so can't comment on stats
gathering in that context.

I have proposed an alternative Xen->libxc interface designed with a
stats daemon in mind, explaining why I believe it has lower overheads to
Xen and why is more in line with what I expect ${VENDOR}Stack to
actually want.

I am now waiting for a reasoned rebuttal which has more content than
"because there are a set of patches which already implement it in this way".

~Andrew