Re: [Xen-devel] Plea to keep Xen Project from being unsupported in Debian

On Sun, 2014-05-25 at 17:44 -0400, Russ Pavlicek wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I saw this tweet:
>
> Krawall-Ossi â@0x663030623472 May 22:
> If you want to have #xen and/or #kvm to be #LTS support for #Debian
> #squeeze, see
> https://lists.debian.org/20140522113326.GA2841@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> â - Your action is needed!
>
> The page in question is:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/2014/05/msg00041.html
>
> which includes the statement:
>
> > qemu-kvm / libvirt / xen
> > -> unless there's a dedicated volunteer, I'll mark it as unsupported soon
>
> Forgive me if anyone stepped up to the plate and I missed it.
> Otherwise, is there someone who would be willing to take on the task
> of making sure the hypervisor works for Debian Squeeze?

Just to be clear: Debian Squeeze (aka 6.0 aka "oldstable") has contained
Xen since its release.

The subject here is the LTS continuation of Squeeze which is an effort
to provide an extended lifecycle to satisfy various use cases (otherwise
Squeeze would be dropping out of formal support around now) based on a
reduced set of packages.

I don't think there need to make sure the hypervisor works in Squeeze --
it already does -- but rather they are looking for someone to commit to
providing on going support for what is already there. I expect that
would mostly concern providing backports of security fixes (I don't
imagine LTS would be taking new features etc).

Unfortunately I don't think I will have time to commit to support
Squeeze myself.

The current stable Debian release (7.0 AKA Wheezy) contains Xen and the
next release (codename Jessie) will too, of course.

Ian.