Re: [Xen-devel] [libvirt] libvirt / libxl testing emails

On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 15:37 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 06/03/2014 03:30 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 03:16:49PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> >> Ian / Ian,
> >>
> >> Daniel V. was lurking on a recent CentOS Virt SIG IRC meetings, and asked
> >> about testing the libvirt git repo against libxl.  I mentioned that we
> >> already had some basic tests to do that, and he asked whether it would make
> >> sense to have the push gate e-mail the libvirt list.
> >>
> >> I have no idea how the libvirt people feel about that, so I'll let DV make
> >> his case, and also let he Ians give their opinions.
> > I guess from my POV the answer probably hinges on the reliability of the
> > test harness. If it has a very low false failure rate, then it'd be ok
> > to send it to this list. Conversely if there's a non-trivial false failure
> > rate it'd be better to have it go to an individual who filters it and just
> > forwards the real failures to the list.
> >
> > An alternative idea would be for us to setup a new 'libvirt-testing'
> > mailing list, exclusively for spamming by CI systems, that people could
> > opt-in to subscribing to.
>
> In my experience the test e-mails are fairly chatty, and fail for any
> number of reasons.  The most recent test mail can be found here, for
> instance:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/332583
>
> And it seems to have failed because of a problem with the ARM testing
> hardware (since builds of Xen and Linux fail as well).
>
> My suspicion is that most people on libvir-list will learn to ignore the
> mails unless someone raises a particular failure as something worth
> looking at; in which case it might be better to have a separate opt-in
> list.  (Or to wait until someone on xen-devel raises the issue.)

The majority of the failures so far have been infrastructure issues, so
I expect you are right.

I tend to keep an eye on this particular flight and I'm happy to forward
anything which looks like an upstream issue (it's only happened once so
far).

I'm equally happy to add some list or individual  other to the config
for places to spam with the results. Jim was happy to keep getting them
via xen-devel.

Ian.