Re: [Xen-devel] Automotive PV drivers project request

On 04/06/14 15:04, Artem Mygaiev wrote:
> As a part of effort on bringing Xen into Automotive (and thus Embedded)
> space, we are working on a set of PV drivers needed to share
> peripherals between domains.
>  * PV audio - new driver using ALSA
>  * PV USB - based on old existing PV USB solution
>  * PV framebuffer - modifications and improvements for existing FB
>  * PV events - new driver for sharing HIDs across domains (touchscreen,
>    keyb, etc.)
> This list is not final, other things are to be added later on. Each
> driver consists, obviously, of frontend and backend which may be
> implemented for different OSes. So far only Linux is supported, QNX is
> wip, ArcCore or similar being considered. Due to this, each driver has
> following structure (sample):
> /pv_audio
>   /linux-alsa-be
>   /linux-fe
>   /qnx-be
>   /qnx-fe
> Linux kernel code is developed under GPLv2 license, userspace
> components like some backends are under Apache 2 license, so can be
> integrated into software with commercial licenses. QNX and other OSes
> will have licenses that are required by corresponding regulations, some
> may be not open nevertheless we tend to make all parts of the code
> available to the Xen community.

Hello,

Most of the Xen PV frontends/backends inside of the Linux kernel are
under a dual-license like the following (this one is from blkfront):

 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2
 * as published by the Free Software Foundation; or, when distributed
 * separately from the Linux kernel or incorporated into other
 * software packages, subject to the following license:
 *
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
 * of this source file (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
 * restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify,
 * merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software,
 * and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
 * the following conditions:
 *
 * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
 * all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
 * AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
 * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS
 * IN THE SOFTWARE.

Which allows them to be imported/shared with other OSes. Could you
consider releasing the Linux drivers under this kind of license?

Thanks, Roger.