Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen Hackathon] new PV drivers

On 06/09/2014 05:42 AM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jun 2014, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 14:56 +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
On 3 Jun 2014, at 12:47, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Present (by memory):
- Julien Grall,
- Stefano Stabellini,
- Ian Campbell,
- Roger Pau Monne,
- Dario Faggioli,
- Andrii Tseglytskyi,
- David Vrabel,
- Konrad Wilk.

* What new PV devices do we need? What has been done already?
I missed this session, but was wondering about an entropy driver.
We're integrating an OCaml SSL/TLS into MirageOS, and it's not clear
how PV guests should go about getting a strong source of entropy from
the outside world in a reasonably portable way.

Is entropy provided by drivers/char/random.c not sufficient?

-boris

VirtIO has a RNG [1] -- has anyone got any interest in a PV protocol
for Xen that does the same?
IMHO support for these sorts of things is actually one of the few good
reasons to be considering support for basic virtio on Xen.

Alternatively AIUI a bunch of these sort of virtio devices are just
protocols built on top of virtio_serial, so we could perhaps be thinking
of repurposing them over Xen's serial PV device. Dave S was
investigating the difference between libvirt "serial" and "channel"
recently and AIUI the difference was that a channel could be named in
order to support bindings to these higher level things (i.e. appearing
to the guest as /dev/rng instead of /dev/hvcN).
However writing a good PV-RNG should be far easier than making virtio
work properly with Xen PV guests.