Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] Grant iomem access and map IRQs to a domU guest in Xen for ARM targets

(adding xen-devel for some of these issues)

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 01:37 +0000, Kapania, Ashish wrote:
> [...]

Great.

> > Are the devices you wish to pass through DMA capable? Unless they are
> > being an SMMU that will make things more complex.
> >

> At the moment the peripherals I need to pass through are not DMA capable.
> In the future however, I may have to pass through a dma-capable device.
> It will all depend on the use-cases that we will need to support on our
> RTOS.
>
> I believe the TI chip I am working on (OMAP5) does not have a SMMU.

I thought it did have some sort of IOMMU (perhaps not exactly an SMMU)
for some peripherals, but I've not worked with or even investigated the
platform much.

> Considering the lack of SMMU, if I need to pass through a dma-capable
> device, how do you recommend I go about it ? Do I need to implement
> something similar to linux's swiotlb-xen driver in our RTOS ?

It depends on the nature of the specific device.

One approach (the preferred one I think) would be to create a PV
front/back pair for the class of devices to allow dom0 to drive the
hardware and provide mediated access to it to guests (assuming such a
driver pair doesn't already exist). There is talk [0,1] of perhaps
starting a new subproject with the aim of providing PV drivers for
various "embedded" type devices (and I think OMAP is one of the
platforms used by the people involved).

Another option would be some sort of software SMMU or swiotlb thing like
you've suggested. I think that would involve a small amount of
hypervisor support to map guest IPAs in to DMA address (i.e. real PAs).
There have been proposals along those lines e.g. [2] which I think deals
with IPU stuff on OMAP.

Lastly the 1:1 workaround could potentially be enabled for other guests,
but that is a pretty nasty hack and would cause potential issues e.g.
with rebooting such a guest (if it couldn't allocate a contiguous region
next time).

Oh, and I suppose it might be possible to not use the DMA capabilities
of the h/w, but I guess that would be pretty awful for perf and power
etc, you would probably not want to go that path I suppose.

Ian.

[0] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-06/msg00444.html
[1] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-06/msg00289.html
[2] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-01/msg01913.html