Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: Compile Fail - v4.4

On mar, 2014-06-17 at 07:43 -0700, merc1984@xxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014, at 0:51, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >                         On 16.06.14 at 20:37, <merc1984@xxxxxx>
> >                         wrote:
> >
> >         On Debian Testing, x86_64.
> >
> >         I cannot get Xen compiled.  I've carefully followed the wiki
> >         here:
> >         http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source
> >         ... especially WRT dependencies, but no change.
> >
> > You don't mention the most important point here - you're using gcc
> > 4.9.0. A patch for these new warnings was posted already (see
> > http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-06/msg01399.html),
> > but in the original shape it wasn't immediately acceptable. An
> > alternative got posted in response a little later. You can pick
> > any (especially if you're not using blktap2), or simply disable
> > building of the blktap code via configure option.
>
> Thank you.  Be advised that I got this from the Supported download
> point
> (http://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives/xen-44-series/xen-440.html),
>  so this is going to keep happening, or users will simply give up.

You're right. I tried to ping the discussion containing the proposed fix
already here:

 http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-06/msg02065.html

Hopefully, someone will look at the patch soon...

> Also I wish I could make a number of clarifications and updates in the
> wiki, of issues that tripped me up for days.

Yeah, please do! Do as Ian said for getting write access and then go
ahead.

Also, next Wednesday is going to be one of our Docs Day:
 http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-06/msg02266.html
 http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Document_Days

If you have time, I'd really recommend participating.

In the mean time, if there are issues that you've found in the docs, but
for any reason you can't fix them right away, consider adding them here,
so that they someone can take care of them during the event:
 http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Document_Days/TODO

Regards,
Dario